About Wailea Girl

Saturday, April 16, 2016

The Perfect Cappuccino

An excerpt from my upcoming memoir

"She like it Madame?" my barista at Gilli asks me daily! €1.40 euros for this steamy hot, creamy, chocolaty, marbleized work of art in a fine bone china cup, accompanied by a pearl-and-sterling demitasse spoon and delicate pistachio cantucci on a lacy embossed monogrammed doily. A perfectly poised Italian-designed sugar container and extra embossed napkins complete this perfect cappuccino.

In Firenze (Florence), it's a matter of pride, passion and priority to produce this caffeinated delicacy!

Heaven forbid a foreigner should utter the word decaf—a term usually met with a dismissive gesture. I am now schooled in the language of gestures.

Like any delicacy, taste, temperature and artistic sensibility are all important and necessary in preparing the perfetto cappuccino! If you are fortunate to have a barista who has taken a liking to you, you may find your cappuccino delivered with a spectacular heart shape floating amidst the dark cocoa topping. Here's hoping!


It's no wonder that cafés, tea rooms, ristoranti and trattorie invest sums akin to a college education on an ever so beautifully designed espresso/cappuccino machine. Taking up an area that could house a Vespa, this machine is the heart and soul of every food establishment throughout Italy.

I've figured out that this Italian obsession with coffee has nothing to do with coffee at all. Rather, it represents a way to break up the day, to take a moment to savor life, connect with friends, an opportunity to slow down and think—and an accompanying cantucci or dolce represents a sweet commitment to enjoying life's small pleasures. Smart Italians: stitching together their lives by amassing all these small sweets moments of quiet pleasure!

Perhaps I should make my next acquisition a cappuccino machine instead of a new pair of designer shoes or an Italian-made dress, since I now know that this machine is more than a coffeemaker: it's a lifestyle. However, my bigger challenge will be to coax my favorite barista to accompany my new cappuccino machine back to isola Maui! But I will give it a try. Domani, my barista!

No comments:

Post a Comment